From the moment you step foot on 普拉茨堡’s campus — physically and virtually, too — there is an astounding amount of academic assistance available to you. 作为一个 matriculated student, you always have a designated academic 顾问 in your major 或程序. On top of that, you have numerous sources of assistance to help you succeed 在各个方面.
The academic advising office provides outreach and academic guidance to any student 是谁:
- A new SUNY 普拉茨堡 student.
- A student in the undeclared major.
- Changing majors/minors or in an academic “re-direction.”
- Unclear about an academic policy or degree requirement.
- In need of referral for special services such as career planning, study skills, mental health counseling or documenting a learning disability.
- In academic jeopardy or difficulty — and doesn't know what to do.
建议的角色 & 责任
作为一个 student, you too have a special responsibility in the advising process. You should take initiative to seek advisement and to develop a relationship with your 顾问. 尽你的本分:
- Learn the name and location of your academic 顾问.
- Call or visit your 顾问 at the first sign of a question, concern, or problem. 顾问 are excellent sources of support, referral, and information about campus resources, policies, and courses specific to your field of study.
- Login to My普拉茨堡 regularly to check 普拉茨堡 email and receive important announcements about advising.
- Pay attention to the many announcements about “course advisement period.“每个学生 must make an appointment to meet with their 顾问 to review midterm grades, plan the next semester, and obtain their registration PIN. Missing the course advisement period prevents you from access to priority registration for the next semester.
- Prepare for advisement by reviewing your Degree Works audit (which lists satisfied and outstanding degree requirements), keeping track of your progress toward degree completion and 搜索ing the online schedule of courses offered in the next semester.
Your Academic Advisor’s Role
Your academic 顾问 is primarily responsible for the following:
- Affording ample opportunity to meet to discuss your educational experiences, especially during the designated “course advisement period,” to review your selection of courses for the next semester and issue your registration PIN.
- Helping you with general education requirements and college policies.
- Ensuring that you have met necessary prerequisites for recommended courses and assisting with any departmental requirements and specific course 序列s in the major.
- Assisting you in the continual monitoring and evaluation of your progress toward your 完成程度.
- Supporting you in clarifying your values and goals and to better understand yourself.
- Recommending college services, campus involvement or other opportunities, in order for you to make the most of what is available to you.
Benefits of Academic Advisement
By preparing in advance, and meeting with your 顾问, you receive:
- An “OK” that your course selections are appropriate, on track, and in the correct 序列
- An assessment of your progress toward 完成程度 (e.g., number of credits so far, which GenEds/Cardinal Core requirements remain)
- Assistance with examining your academic values, personal interests, and career goals
- The registration PIN you need to access “priority registration” for the next semester